Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Between the Lines


I recently picked up (actually I downloaded it from the library) a book called Freakonomics:  A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner.  I barely ever read non-fiction.  It requires an attention span longer than 10 minutes.  As it were, I only read about half of this book--a terrible habit that's very VERY hard to break.  Anyways this book was interesting.  While reading I wrote down some of the facts given.  I could cite this perfectly for you, but no one here is critiquing me.
  • In a typical election period that includes campaignes for the presidency, the Senate, and the House of Representatives, about $1 billion dollars is spent per year.  This is the same amout that Americans spend every year on chewing gum.
  • Theft is increased 15% over the week of Christmas, which coincedentally is the holiday workers get the most days off.  Is this because the lack of workers convinces criminals they won't get caught?  Or does the time off give workers more opportunities to commit a crime?  Chicken or egg...
  • President Harding was a member of the Ku Klux Klan.
So there you have it.  Read the last half and let me know how it goes.  So I wonder if good ole Harding University was named after the man himself.  It would definately explain a few things...


I moved on to a favorite of mine called Austenland by Shannon Hale.  This was the 3rd time I think.  It is just the cutest story!  Eventually i'll actually buy the book instead of repeatedly renting it.  So good!


No comments:

Post a Comment